How to brush your teeth

toothbrushAre you surprised to find out that dental organizations around the world recommend different techniques for teeth-brushing?  I sure was.  But what surprised me even more is the lack of evidence that one method works better than another.

A systematic review published this month in the British Dental Journal examined the evidence on various techniques for teeth-brushing. The authors examine recommendations from dental associations, toothpaste and toothbrush companies, and dental texts. The researchers found no randomized controlled trials that measured the benefits of tooth brushing techniques.

And they found  “a wide diversity between recommendations” on techniques, how often people should brush, and for how long.

The most common method recommended is one that has been endorsed by the American Dental Association, along with 18 other organizations. It’s called Bass technique, and it involves holding the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gum and making short back-and-forth movements.

Ten organizations recommended the Fones technique, which involves making large, sweeping circles over the teeth with the toothbrush at right angles to the tooth surface.

“Despite all the techniques described by experts, there’s no evidence to suggest that any of them is more effective than a simple scrub,” said the lead author, John Wainwright, a dentist in Doncaster, England. “Expert opinion is worth something, but it’s low on the hierarchy of evidence.”

The take-home message: Dental literature is sorely lacking in quality evidence about how to brush our teeth, including how often, for how long and the best methods. Given the millions of people who brush their teeth every day, and the millions of dollars spent each year on dental hygiene, this is an area worthy of future research.

1. Allena says:

Brushing teeth is a very important things that many of us really need to consider to make our teeth healthy.many of dentist recommended to brush their teeth two times a day or use mouth wash in case that they skip on it which for me a very good reminder for everyone.

2. Paul says:

I have heard a myriad of different techniques from dentists, but I think the most important thing is to clean them at all. I brush my teeth three times a day and do no use any special technique, I use a mouthwash and I floss from time to time. Some research is needed, I have to agree.